Wednesday, October 27, 2010

CFOs: Don't leave home without...

On first impression, the title of this blog can make you think of many things not to leave home without.

My version is: Don't leave home without your business cards. Actually, I recommend you always carry your work business cards and personal business cards.

Carrying your work business cards should be obvious. However, too many times when I meet CFOs in a non-interview context, they do not have a business card on them.

As I have recommended previously (read Network for Work), part of your career path development requires that you network constantly and consistently.

Why should you have personal business cards?

Having a professionally designed and well branded personal business card is an effective way to allow those who you would like to stay in touch with to do so. You never know when a golden opportunity could have your name on it, and the person who thinks about you can't find you because you no longer work at the company on the card.

A personal business card is especially useful during a career transition. It can certainly help you stand out from the competition during the interview process.

For those receivers of your card who are more old school, chances are they will file it properly in their business card organizer (which usually means a pile on their desk). They might not be on LinkedIn (yet), but they do keep track of their business cards. Give your personal business card out selectively to those who you would like to stay in contact with beyond your current role.

Making the investment in personal business cards and remembering not to leave home without them can pay huge dividends.

2 comments:

Cindy Kraft, the CFO-Coach said...

Great advice, Samuel.

Should you find yourself in the position of not having a business card, state the obvious (I don't have a card on me) and ask for theirs. Be sure to follow up with him/her/them within a day or two and include all of your contact information in that follow up communication.

Warmly,
Cindy Kraft, the CFO-Coach

Kevin Dee said...

Taking BOTH Cindy and samuel's advice to gether ... It may be counter intuitive, but I sometimes prefer to not hand over a business card. I would rather precipitate an email exchange. "Sorry I don't have a card on me but if you give me one of yours I will send you the information. I can then include information that is relevant, reinforce discussion we had at the time and it may actually make it easier for that erson to capture my information electronically into their system.

At the end of the day you want to be remembered, and you want them to be able to find you again later. Whatever works best.

PS. Never thought of personal cards ... great thought!