Monday, October 4, 2010

Are you ready to give up your CA for a CPA?

If you are a Canadian CA, there is a good chance you worked hard for it, and are quite proud of the designation. I know I worked hard for it, and I am proud CA.

Buried in my emails recently I found a letter from Bill MacKinnon, FCA, Chair of the CICA Board of Directors discussing two points of concern for the future of our profession that came up out of a recent meeting of leaders’ of our profession.

The first point of concern for our leaders, which addresses “Pathways into the CA Profession in Canada” is continuing down the slippery slope that was created when the CICA started accepting training for new professionals outside of an audit firm environment. While I do have concerns in this area, this is currently overshadowed the 2nd point of concern – A Canadian CPA. (Click here to view the new logo).

Yes. That’s right. The leaders of our profession are considering a Canadian CPA designation.

As a CA, I have been proud of the efforts in past years to brand the CA designation as the premier accounting designation in Canada (and the world). Now it seems that globalization of the accounting profession (which most recently has Canadian GAAP being replaced by International GAAP – IFRS) has made our leaders hedge our bets on our historic name and brand, just in case we need to “start consolidating into one or two global professions”.

What the future holds for Canadian CAs and the constituents we serve is currently unclear. It is not clear as to whether we can currently call ourselves CA, CPA or both together.

A few years back when the profession in its wisdom wanted to merge with the other accounting professions in Canada, our members were very clear that it was not what the grass roots members wanted.

My initial reaction to this development is: “I’m not interested, but I am willing to listen - you’ll have to convince me.” I believe that many CAs will have the same reaction. I hope that the leaders of our profession ensure that they properly consult with the CA members across the country, and not just make an administrative decision that deeply affects our attachment to our profession and to our brand.

What is your reaction?

No comments: